Skip to main content

Winter catch-up

December was busy for us. Actually, at the end of November when we returned from a trip to Orange Beach for Thanksgiving, Dave took off for a work trip to Las Vegas, and I got a call from DCS looking for placement for a tiny newborn baby girl. I said yes! She was two weeks old. She'd been in foster care since 9 days old but the previous homes were full and could only keep her temporarily. She was tiny, barely 7 pounds, with bright red hair. This was an interesting experience for me, having a newborn that I didn't give birth to! She was for the most part a very easygoing baby. I put her on a 3-hour feed schedule immediately because I knew how much she was eating (not breastfeeding has its benefits!).

Dave came back and we all settled into a routine with a new little one. She just kind of accepted whatever love and attention we could spare her, and was happy with that. She had visits with her biological parents a few times a week, though they didn't always show up. I also got to go to court for the first time with one of our foster cases, although my presence was not necessary and absolutely nothing happened or was decided. It was still interesting to see how the process works (and why it is so, incredibly, frustratingly slow and tedious).

Also in December, we of course celebrated Christmas. It was pretty low-key except we were doing respite foster care for a baby boy we'd had as an emergency placement a few months before. He was a handful, he screamed all night. Not normal baby crying either. SCREAMING. So that was rough. Otherwise we had a nice holiday.

Lucy & her friend Madi went to a school dance together

One of Lucy's Christmas gifts was tickets for her and a couple of friends to go see Kinky Boots in St. Louis. We had a huge ice storm a day before, but we persevered, and the roads were fine in Illinois & Missouri, just terrible here in Indiana. Lucy loved it so much. I thought it was entertaining, at least. But seeing how happy Lucy was made it all worth it.


Popular posts from this blog

a year after

Yesterday was Desmond's... birthday? deathday? delivery day? I do not know what to call it. Anniversary doesn't seem right. I think we settled on just calling it Desmond's day.

We went camping this weekend. We were trying to distract ourselves, which sort of worked, but camping is a lot of work and pretty exhausting. Maybe next time we'll do something for relaxing.

A few days before his day, we went to the cemetery and released balloons and dragonflies and read a story and just spent time there. It was really nice.

I thought July 10 would be the worst, but the days leading up to it were much harder. On July 4 it was one year since I'd felt him move. On July 7 it was one year since finding out for sure that he had died. July 9 checking into the hospital. It was a macabre countdown in my mind. All of this compounded by the realization that I have cried every day for 365 days (plus) without fail. Not all day sobbing (some of those, yes) but at least some amount of cry…

My Abortion & When I Used Planned Parenthood

I don't post much political stuff on this blog or even on Facebook. I figure, people have political opinions based on their own values and their own experiences, and reading someone else's will rarely change anything. I am, however, deeply disturbed by the way a particular issue is playing out in American politics right now, and so in addition to this blog post, I am sending letters and photographs to all of my elected officials to ask them to consider all angles of a topic rather than listening to one very vocal group who views all abortions as pure evil.

First, I have been a patient of Planned Parenthood in the past. As an uninsured college student and even un- and under-insured newlywed in my early 20s, a trip to the gynecologist for an annual exam plus a monthly prescription for birth control would have been far outside my financial means as I worked (sometimes part-time, often full-time) while going to school. Planned Parenthood's sliding fee scale meant I could have …

Aw, snap! (goes Truman's arm)

We didn't get any calls for foster placements for several weeks. It was starting to bother me - why not us? Then I saw on our local foster parent Facebook group a woman asking for respite care for her three little ones for a weekend. I could do that! She and I made arrangements to meet Friday at 3:30 after I picked up Lucy from school and we'd have the kids through Sunday afternoon, then Dave and I would be leaving to go see U2 and Beck in Indianapolis for MY BIRTHDAY.

Friday was going along just fine, and I had just gotten my purse and keys out so I could be ready to leave in a minute to pick up Lucy and the little foster kids. Jacinda was napping and Penny was playing on the computer. Truman had been jumping on the trampoline for about fifteen minutes. Suddenly, Truman screamed.

Not a 'ouch' scream.

The kind of scream that kicks your parental instinct into overdrive and you drop everything you are doing to run to the aid of that screaming child.

I went out the back d…