in season

Here's my lame little attempt at food blogging.

We are doing the Engelbrecht CSA again this year, and so in addition to peaches out the wazoo, we are getting some tomatoes, peppers, and a few other veggies. My garden is also producing Sun Gold tomatoes and eggplant like mad. Thus, we've been having ratatouille about twice a week lately.

Ratatouille, I believe, is generally a vegetarian dish. Or, as the snippy guy on the movie Ratatouille says, "It's a peasant dish!" But, it's also crazy delicious and a great way to use up in-season vegetables.

We make ours with eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, onion, garlic, and sausage. You can use any kind of bulk or link sausage, but our favorite is the bulk Italian they make at Schnucks (I know I'm usually all about the local humanely raised meats, but those farms' sausage just doesn't do it for me). It's surprisingly affordable for how yummy it is - about $2 - $3 for a decent sized package. I cook the sausage and when it's halfway done, throw in all the other veggies, chopped up. We use several tomatoes - probably 2-3 cups worth at least - to make it more stew-like in consistency. Then put a lid on it and let it cook down for about ten minutes. Voila! Pair it with a loaf of french bread and some butter and everyone is happy.


I think Sun Gold tomatoes may actually be made out of golden sun. 

Comments

Popular Posts