Field trip Friday

It's been a really long week at our house. The washing machine quit working. Which is, kind of horrible. Not horrible like someone in the hospital or a death obviously, but horrible in the day-to-day drag kind of way. We do have a kind-hearted friend who came over and took a look and gave us a diagnosis, and now a part is on its way and hopefully in the next few days we should be able to get her up and running again. (Of course she's a girl.)

David went back to work full time this week too. The first week back is always the toughest, both because we've gotten used to having him home a lot of the time, and because in the first week he has to work every day, all day. I know - pity party for me right? Don't most husbands work all day, every day? What I mean is - his normal schedule allows him to have breakfast with the kids most day, or at least be home for dinner and bedtime most nights. The first week back is brutal. There are long meetings. Last night he got home at about 9p.m. This morning he had to leave by 8a.m. The kids saw him for 20 minutes. Which  means, I had a 20 minute break. It's hard on everyone. Next week classes start, though, and he'll have a less demanding schedule for the next 16 weeks.

Also my dearest friend from Bloomington moved this week. Yes, I already moved two and a half years ago, but still she was only a few hours away and we saw each other frequently. Now she's in Utah (cursed gainful employment) and we probably won't see them until May. Le sigh.

So, the laundry was piling up, and although I had many kind offers from many wonderful friends to use their washers, I thought it would be a lot faster and easier to take it all to the laundry and do four loads at once (being able to wash four loads in 33 minutes is the best thing about a coin laundry). So, the kids and I went and did that this morning. A lady working there was taken with their cuteness (or that's what I choose to believe; it's possible she was trying to distract them from destroying the vending machines) and gave them all paper and stickers. This laundry place also does tanning, so these are stickers they give to people to put on their bodies when they tan. She asked me if it was okay. I said sure, great. Then I saw the stickers.


Then we had a few more errands to run, like picking up raw milk and Amish roll butter, the bank, blah blah blah, and we went to the museum. The kids were so gung-ho about it. I have no idea why. The Evansville museum is okay, but it's really kind of boring. I could go there once every five years and it'd be fine (barring special exhibits such as my husband's work, of course). We decided to go to the planetarium today though. The kids had never been, and I hadn't been since I was about 11 years old. It was exactly the same as I'd remembered.

Lucy and Truman with 'Mother Earth' outside the museum.

Lucy and Penny holding hands in the scary dark before the planetarium show started. We were the only ones there, which was nice, but the show itself seemed to have been made in 1994 and was quite boring.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts