storm

We had a little bit of excitement last Tuesday night. The TV weather dorks had been saying all day that we were going to have a strong chance of severe weather, so I thought ahead and got some batteries for our radio. Of course the severe weather hits on one of the nights David has a class until 10 p.m. It started getting bad around 9:00 and they even cut into the end of The Biggest Loser to start screaming about the storm. Then people started calling in reports of tornadoes and 90 mph winds, west of us. I called my mom because a tornado was spotted not far from them, heading their way, and they live in a modular home with no permanent foundation or basement. They'd already scooped up their dog and headed to the neighbors' basement. Then the weather guys are saying that the worst of the storm will be hitting Ivy Tech, which is where David works, at 9:48 p.m. (love how they pinpoint it like that). David's class lets out at 9:50 p.m. So I'd been texting him all along with updates as I heard them. He didn't respond but that was okay. So finally I was like, he needs to just stay there, so as I was texting him, "just stay there for awhile" he was leaving me a voice mail saying, "Hi, I'm driving now..." Oh, and his phone battery was at 8%. My husband, the foolish virgin.

Finally, I was able to get him on the phone. He was downtown by that point. He said trash cans were flying across the road, street lights were out, and there was almost no one out on the road. But he wanted to try and beat the storm home  (storms travel west to east and we live east of where he works). We didn't talk long because of his phone battery situation. After we hung up they started saying on TV that Newburgh residents should take shelter, so I decided to put the kids into the closet under the stairs. I grabbed Truman and laid him in there. He never woke up. I went back upstairs for the girls. I picked up Penny and then tried waking Lucy. I shook her hard. The kid would not budge! Winds were whizzing by our house, and the lights in our house kept going out for 2-3 seconds, then (blessedly) coming back on. So then Lucy got mad finally and said, "I'M UP!" really angrily. So I headed toward the stairs with sleeping Penny in my arms, turn around to look at Lucy again, and the child was in a half-awake stupor, trying to hang her blanket onto an invisible hook on her wall. I was so mad and irritated and frightened. So I had to just grab her by the front her pajamas and pull her off her top bunk and down the stairs. She was not happy. But I got all three of them in there! Truman and Penny stayed asleep the whole time. Lucy was half awake and pretty mad. I got David back on the phone and he said that he was on the interstate. That was good. But then he called a few minutes later and said there was a downed power line across all four lanes of the interstate and no one could get through, so he was going to try and cross through the grassy median and go back to the last exit before. So he did. Crazy fool! He then had to take a really long way home. The entire trip usually takes under 20 minutes at that time of night, but it took him about 45 minutes to get home. I was so happy when he got here. I seriously felt like barfing the whole time he was out traveling in it.

I didn't hear of any deaths or serious injuries, but lots of trees blew over. One was just three houses away from us, and it fell onto the house. And the owner of this house just moved to Alaska like a week ago and I think it's empty, and I have no idea how to contact this person! There's a hole in the roof now and water is going in. Because it's kept on raining, and raining, and raining...


Comments

Popular Posts